Website Citizens of the World
The mission of Citizens of the World Los Angeles (CWC LA) is to provide a socio-economically, culturally, and racially diverse community of students in Los Angeles with an intellectually challenging, experiential learning environment that develops each student’s confidence, potential, and individual responsibility as citizens of the world. CWC schools:
- Service a socioeconomically, culturally, and racially diverse community;
- Develop students’ social and emotional skills to prepare them to become citizens of the world in an ever-changing future; and
- Promote academic rigor through a constructivist, project-based learning approach, to support and develop children’s natural intellectual curiosity
The CWC LA network has a strong track record of high academic achievement, is growing at a rapid rate and currently enrolls nearly 2,000 students in three high-performing schools:
- CWC Hollywood (opened in September 2010, renewed charter approved in December 2014, currently TK-5thgrade);
- CWC Silver Lake (opened in August 2012, renewed charter approved in November 2016, currently TK-8th grade); and
- CWC Mar Vista (opened in August 2013, currently TK-6th grade and growing to TK-8th grade over the next two years)
CWC LA has a Regional Support Office that supports all CWC LA schools. We work with our network partners at Citizens of the World Charter Schools (CWC Schools), linking the schools in Los Angeles to CWC schools in New York City and Kansas City.
Our core values are embraced by the entire community:
- Excellence: we demand lasting quality
- Diversity: we are better and stronger because of our differences
- Authenticity: we are our true selves in this work, and we are candid
- Community: we care deeply about people. We share and build partnerships. We celebrate, laugh, and seek joy, even in the tough times
- Change: we welcome the unknown, embracing the unexpected and new. We adapt to meet the ever-changing times. We find new ways.
The Principal of CWC Hollywood is a visionary instructional leader who will create an engaging, joyful, academically rigorous learning environment built on our fundamentals of academic excellence, community, and diversity. S/he will have a sophisticated understanding of and experience with a constructivist approach, developing strong social and emotional skills in students, building strong school communities, working with elementary-aged students, multiple intelligence theory, backward design, the creation of project-based curriculum, and building and/or working in diverse communities.
The Principal will create and maintain a school culture that challenges and motivates our students, teachers, and families to achieve academic excellence, develop as people, embrace the rich diversity of the school community, and positively impact the communities in which they live. S/he will have a commitment to the educational philosophy of our school and organization, as described above.
The CWC Hollywood Principal will embrace change and growth, collaborating closely with the Assistant Principal, as well as with the other Principals and Assistant Principals in the CWC LA network. The next school leader will play a vital role in maintaining and maximizing the school’s excellent student achievement results with an unwavering commitment to our mission and model as the school operates at its full capacity.
Academics and Instruction
Guides instructional staff to improve teaching and learning by providing teacher support and designing professional development centered on social and emotional skill development and constructivist and project-based learning. Ensures that all students are learning and that there are no gaps in student achievement among subgroups.
- Provides instructional leadership, coaching, and support to teachers who are working with a diverse student body.
- Ensures the use of a wide array of assessments that, together, reflect the educational mission of CWC LA that its schools prepare students to excel on multiple measures, including standardized measures.
- Uses multiple sources of data to develop a plan for the ongoing improvement of student achievement.
Defines and builds a transformative school culture consistent with CWC LA’s core values, operating norms, and principles. Ensures that the school’s culture of achievement rests on a foundation of social emotional learning, collaboration, and leadership development for students and adults.
Recruits, hires, manages, and develops the school’s leadership and instructional teams, as well as operational and support staff.
- Builds a culture of self-reflection, relentless self-improvement and adaptive leadership for all school staff.
- Recruits and hires mission-aligned, qualified instructional and operational staff.
- Manages the staff performance review and compensation review processes.
- Maintains a focus on mission-aligned, student-focused decision making.
- Ensures ongoing design and implementation of staff professional development.
Establishes and maintains strong relationships with teachers, students, parents, and community members.
- Ensures that all members of the school community are engaged and valued.
- Communicates the school’s vision and goals in a way that ensures understanding and commitment from a racially, culturally, and socioeconomically diverse community of parents, students, faculty, staff, and board members.
- Oversees the development and implementation of varied forms of communication with families.
- Maintains positive relationships with Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) and other charter organizations, serving as an active leader in the Los Angeles charter community by learning from others and sharing CWC LA’s best practices.
Operations, Finance, and Compliance
Ensures compliant, effective, and efficient school-based operations that support an academically high-performing school environment.
- Manages and supports school operations staff.
- Supports and facilitates the development of smooth running operational systems and procedures within the school building.
- Manages and supports all efforts that contribute to a healthy and safe facility and campus for both adults and students.
- Reports on activities, organizational development progress, compliance requirements, and student achievement to the CWC LA board, LAUSD, and other applicable state and federal reporting agencies.
- Works with the Executive Director to draft and monitor the school’s budget and ensure daily financial and business activities are compliant with the school’s fiscal policies.
- Ensures school alignment with organizational goals for diversity
Candidates must have:
- A clear record of elevating student achievement in an academically high-achieving classroom for at least three (3) years, with a strong understanding of CWC-aligned pedagogy that drives results or of exceptional leadership working with young people in urban communities.
- A bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree or PhD in education preferred but not required).
- A California teaching credential (or pathway to secure one prior to start date).
- Administrative credential (or commensurate experience) preferred but not required.
- Experience working in a mixed socio-economic school (SES) preferred.
- Experience with and knowledge about Common Core State Standards, project-based learning, workshop-based instruction and social emotional curriculum strongly desired.
- Fluency in Spanish, Korean, or other languages desired but not required.
The Principal must:
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit and be capable of managing many complex tasks with competing priorities.
- Possess strong leadership, team management and community building skills.
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be organized and self-managed, and be able to handle many responsibilities simultaneously.
- Have excellent problem-solving skills.
- Be committed to building a community of collaboration with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Be a self-aware leader who knows how to treat all members of the school’s community with respect, accurately appraise his or her strengths and weaknesses, and is perceptive about how he or she is regarded.
- Be dependable and have excellent follow-through.
- Be aligned with the philosophy and mission of the school and organization.
- Maintain strong personal commitment to ongoing learning and growth
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://careers-cwclosangeles.icims.com/jobs/1062/principal-(cwc-hollywood)/job?mobile=false&width=1140&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240 →