2023 Convening Highlights
Demanding Equity and Integration
Deepening our vision of diverse-by-design
DCSC’s 2023 Annual Convening brought attendees together in person for the first time in three years. This year’s convening featured a mixture of formal programming for tangible takeaways and informal networking to share stories, experiences, and healing. Our theme of Demanding Equity and Integration was prominent not just in programming, but also in unstructured dialogue. Attendees were inspired by the work of other DCSC members and think more about how to move the diverse-by-design movement forward.
Here’s what attendees had to say about #DCSC2023:
- Dr. Love was the highlight. That and just the sheer depth of insights and genius in the room. There were so many engaged and thoughtful people that I had conversations with.
- I loved the homeroom table concept. It allowed for deeper conversations with those at the table.
- I was feeling quite burnt out and this conference reinvigorated my passion for the work. Thank you.
- Lovely, organized, wonderful people, inspiring.
- The school visits are always a great highlight of the Convening. I greatly appreciate the tremendous work the Planning Committee and Coalition Staff do to engage and reconnect us as members annually at the Convening.
- The time with Diverse leaders was what my soul needed. I enjoyed the advocacy breakout session and the planned opportunities to network.
98% of survey respondents rated the 2021 Annual Convening favorably
50+ hours of programming
#DCSC2023 Breakout Sessions
|Rethinking Diversity||Decoding Diversity: Defining and Activating Diversity in Education Organizations||Lucerito Ortiz & Cornelius Lee, Promise54||Session Materials|
|Operationalizing DbD Schools||Embracing Diversity & Creating Connection as a Means to Foster Purpose, Identity & SEL Skills||Jabali Sawicki, nXu||Session Materials|
|Operationalizing DbD Schools||Panel: School Leader Succession: Keep Your Leader As Long As You Can, & Replace Them Well When You Have To||Carrie Irvin, Education Board Partners||Session Materials|
|Operationalizing DbD Schools||Equitable Career Pathways Design||Jonathan Howard, Edgility Consulting||Session Materials|
|Operationalizing DbD Schools||Creating Safe Spaces through Affinity Groups||Tawana Harper, Valor Collegiate Academies||Session Materials|
|Operationalizing DbD Schools||Equity and Opportunity: Redesign high school to advance equity & post-secondary attainment||Keeanna Warren & Aireal Anderson, Purdue Polytechnic High School||Session Materials|
|Operationalizing DbD||Race, Power, and Privilege in Special Education: Using Co-Teaching to Make Inclusion Possible||Sergio Jara Arroyos, Tiffany Galloway & Brian Williams II, Blue Engine||Session Materials|
|Telling the Story of Intentional Integration||Multiple Measures: Effective Evaluation of All Schools||David Greenberg, Courtney Hughley & Morgan Powell, NACSA||Session Materials|
|Telling the Story of Intentional Integration||Integrating Anti-Bias Education Goals into Projects||Sara Lev, Larchmont Charter School||Session Materials|
|Telling the Story of Intentional Integration||Accelerating Student Learning in Response to COVID-19: Learning from Charter Leaders||Titilayo Tinubu Ali
|Telling the Story of Intentional Integration||Beyond Anecdotes: Using valid data to tell your school’s story||Naomi DeVeaux National Charter Schools Institute||Session Materials|
|Telling the Story of Intentional Integration||Advocacy Panel||Natalie Hester
|Telling the Story of Intentional Integration||The Revolution Will Not Be Standardized||Dr. Mike Brown Vanderbilt University & New Schools For Alabama
Sundiata Salaam-Morrish American-Him, BES
Materials and handouts are from workshops, school showcases, dilemma discussions, and affinity groups. Recordings of whole-group programming (keynote and panels), workshops, and school showcases are available on Whova for registrants until April 26, 2023.
2023 Member of the Year
DSST Public Schools (Denver, CO)
2023 Convening Sponsors
Our committed sponsors help make this convening happen. Thank you!
DCSC would like to thank this year’s planning committee in helping the Coalition’s staff, board and funders prepare for the 2022 Annual Convening:
- Aaron Griffen, Chief Equity Officer – DSST (Denver, CO)
- Aaron Watson, Director fo Schools Gateway Public Schools (San Francisco, CA)
- Ashli Watts, Gateway Impact Director – Gateway Public Schools (San Francisco, CA)
- Dawnyela Meredith, Director of Alumni, Equity, and Empowerment – Two Rivers PCS (Washington, D.C.)
- Katherine Kelbaugh, Executive Director – The Museum School of Avondale Estates (Atlanta, GA)
- Tyeshia Smith, Director of Admissions/School Social Worker – City Garden Montessori (St. Louis, MO)
- Tysie McDowell, Superintendent of Schools – Crossroads Charter Schools (Kansas City, MO)