Website Citizens of the World Charter Schools - Kansas City
The mission of CWC Kansas City is to provide an excellent public education focused on developing and demonstrating understanding while building connections within a diverse community.
Citizens of the World schools challenge students to realize their full potential and thrive in a diverse society. We are a public school open to all, committed to serving diverse communities throughout the Kansas City Public Schools boundaries. We develop sophisticated thinkers who master content and have a courageous and compassionate sense of responsibility for themselves and others. Our schools are in strong demand. Our classrooms are challenging – and joyful – learning environments that engage children through fun projects tailored to their personal experiences, strengths and needs. Our teachers take the time to get to know each child as an individual. We empower children to think critically and learn to engage respectfully and productively with fellow students by developing their capacity to enter into and understand the lives of others. Our goal is for student “success” to include mastery of both content and emotions, so that students can meaningfully connect with each other, be part of any community, and courageously decide who they are in the world and how they want the world to be.
For a video overview, please visit
The Director of School Leadership is the primary academic leader for our schools, responsible for providing executive and administrative leadership to the academic leadership team and a dedicated, talented team of teachers ranging from K-8th grade. This person will be a visionary instructional leader who will create an engaging, joyful, academically rigorous learning environment built on CWC’s Learning model. The Director of School Leadership, working with the Executive Director, will continue to build an impactful academic leadership team and culture that drives student performance to meet charter goals. This position is accountable for building a strong team and maintaining an exceptional school culture. This culture will challenge and motivate students, teachers, and families to achieve academic excellence, develop as people, embrace the rich diversity of the school community, and positively impact the communities in which they live.
The primary expectations of this position are as follows:
Owning continued implementation of CWC Kansas City’s academic vision across all grade levels and content areas. This includes evaluation and adjustment of curriculum, model-aligned instruction, and academic staffing structure as required.
Driving academic success with a focus on growth and achievement for every student at CWC Kansas City and focused, consistent effort to reduce gaps in performance that exist among any identifiable student groups.
Implementing top-level data analysis systems and professional development operations to ensure CWC Kansas City utilizes evidence-based instructional strategies.
Supporting CWC Kansas City’s Student Support philosophy to eliminate exclusionary discipline and install a trauma-informed, restorative philosophy to support student behavior needs.
Working alongside school leadership to promote and uphold anti-racist policies in the CWC Kansas City school community.
It is important to note that this role will evolve over time in conjunction with the school’s growth plan. The successful candidate, when hired, will fill two roles initially, serving as the leader of our academic team (as outlined above) and, in an interim capacity, as the administrator supporting third through fifth grade until a more permanent structure is identified.
The successful candidate will lead teaching and learning in one of the fastest growing charter schools in Kansas City. Working within a national network, the position will build on existing strengths and success (including a strong financial position, recent successful charter renewal, and a Board-approved strategic plan). As the strategic plan illustrates, success in this role will be defined by exceptional achievement for all students, implementation of anti-racist, anti-bias, and restorative practices, and strong community engagement and collaborative leadership.
To review the CWCKC Strategic Plan, please visit
CWC Kansas City is focused on becoming an exemplar school in our community and in our state. We seek a candidate who demonstrates a vision, commitment, and willingness to do the work necessary to achieve that goal.
This is a full-time position located in Kansas City, MO.
For more information on Citizens of the World Charter Schools – Kansas City, please visit www.cwckansascity.org
To learn more about the CWC learning model, please visit
The Director of School Leadership will report to the Executive Director and responsibilities will include:
· Sets and maintains a tone of academic excellence at CWC Kansas City;
· Keeps students at the center of everything we do and inspires others to do the same;
· Communicates the school’s vision and goals in a way that ensures understanding and commitment from a racially, culturally, and socioeconomically diverse community of parents, students, faculty, staff, and board members;
· Builds and keeps strong relationships with the school’s sponsor, other charter operators and allied organizations, serving as an active leader in the local education community;
· Working regionally, participates in opportunities to build a stronger educational ecosystem in Kansas City.
· Collaborates with other senior leaders within and outside of the CWC Kansas City system to identify, implement, and share best practices.
· Supports, supervises, and evaluates the Director of Special Education, The Dean of Middle School, and the Dean of Primary School in accordance with CWCKC standards and expectations.
· Works with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, and the Academic Excellence Board Committee to build a suitable and sustainable academic leadership structure.
· Works to achieve goals and objectives outlined in the current CWC Kansas City five-year strategic plan.
· Actively participates in regular professional development activities, both internal and external, such as regular classroom observations, reflective discussion of professional practice, professional readings, visiting other classrooms and schools to observe colleagues, attending conferences, and offering training or workshops for colleagues in an area of expertise.
· Leads with an equity lens and a focus on whole child and whole adult practices;
· Ensures the development and implementation of an instructional plan built on the constructivist learning theory, a high bar of learning in core academics, social emotional development, and in difference and inclusion
· Works with academic leadership and faculty to ensure faithful implementation of curriculum that is culturally relevant, effective, and aligned with Missouri Learning Standards and CWC Kansas City values.
· Ensures staff clarity around academic strategy, standards, and expectations
· Assesses and adjusts the academic structures to ensure CWC Kansas City is positioned to meet the academic needs of all students.
· Ensures an evidence-informed model that is supported by internal, state, and national assessment tools; coordinates data analysis internally and in partnership with the CWC Schools team across all required or selected assessment tools. Implements systems and routines that provide a data-informed approach to learning, and maintains consistent attention on addressing equity gaps across all subgroups, including the delivery of effective academic interventions;
· Recruits, hires, supports, and retains a high-quality staff that is diverse in their personal backgrounds and experiences;
· Provides (on an interim basis) direct supervision to 3rd-5th grade classrooms and teachers at CWC Kansas City until a permanent structure is identified and implemented.
· Assumes responsibility for school-wide delivery of high-quality academic instruction that meets the goals outlined in both CWC Kansas City’s charter and the strategic plan.
· Develops a professional culture of data-informed practice. Leads and supports ongoing systems of assessment of student progress which use a variety of means, maintains accurate records, and uses assessment data to tailor professional support and development designed to increase student academic achievement.
· Shares, analyzes, and reports on all student achievement data in coordination with the CWC Kansas City leadership team, CWC Schools, and to assure compliance with Missouri DESE and sponsor requirements.
· Demonstrates clear understanding of Missouri State Standards and implements effective strategies to ensure CWC Kansas City demonstrates excellence in achievement of those standards.
· Develops effective communications and processes for sharing assessment data and analyses with faculty, parents, and other stakeholders to support student growth.
Qualifications & Traits
Required experiences and qualifications:
· A graduate degree in the field of Education (e.g. M.Ed, MAT, MST)
· Appropriate Missouri Elementary Certification
· Experience (minimum six years preferred) teaching early elementary grades
· Experience (minimum six years preferred) supervising/coaching primary grade educators.
· Demonstrated success in supporting elementary-aged students in socio-economically diverse communities.
· A track record as a passionate advocate for all students and families who has a commitment to building a strong culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
· Knowledge of and experience with Common Core and Missouri State Standards and research-based social-emotional curricula.
· An entrepreneurial spirit and be capable of managing many complex tasks with competing priorities.
· Exceptional relationship building skills and be someone who can quickly gain the confidence of parents, faculty/staff, and students;
· Exceptional customer service skills grounded in building strong relationships with parents, students, and stakeholders and a willingness to operate in a compassionate, transparent, and authentic way in interactions with all.
· Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and a can-do attitude
Experiences and qualifications preferred by CWC Kansas City:
· A clear record of elevating student achievement in an academically high-achieving classroom for at least three (3) years, with a strong understanding of CWC-aligned pedagogy that drives results or of exceptional leadership working with young people in urban communities.
· Experience in school operations and decision-making around resource allocation for a student-serving organization (background working with public school budgeting preferred).
· Experience building meaningful relationships with Board of Directors, including participation in relevant Board committees.
· Experience organizing and managing a student-centered classroom that includes age-appropriate, culturally responsive classroom management practices
· Experience with and passion for pedagogical practices grounded in constructivism, project-based learning, and the multiple intelligences theory; and in creating appropriate standards-based curriculum in accordance with these philosophies
· Experience developing caring classroom environments where instructional time is dedicated to community-building, conflict resolution skill-building, and empowering students to be peacemakers and agents for positive social change
Compensation & Benefits
CWC Kansas City offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. CWC Kansas City is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an organization that values diversity and aims to serve a diverse group of students, we work to reflect this diversity in our staff as well.
Please apply online through the TalentEd Application Portal on our website at www.cwckansascity.org/employment.
Applications will be accepted until January 19, 2021, then on a rolling basis after that date. Due to the school’s Winter Break, applications will not be reviewed until on/after January 1, 2021.
Questions can be directed to CWC Kansas City Executive Director Jon Hile by email at email@example.com.
To apply for this job please visit www.cwckansascity.org.